Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm sitting here in my hotel room, listening to the sound of sirens, and looking out the window at a lovely view of a fence. We are in New Orleans and something about this place is disturbing to me. Every city in America has it's "bad" parts of town. The places where your sure to roll up your windows and lock your doors but generally you have to do some searching to find those places. From what I've seen so far, in New Orleans you have to do some serious searching to find the "good" parts of town. Everywhere you look things are still run down and there are people just wandering the streets. I went to Walgreens this morning and met a woman who needed milk for her baby. He was probably about the same age as Metz and cute as a button. I got them some milk, peanut butter, bread, and apple sauce but now as I sit here I wonder what more I should have done? Last night I told Rob that this was the only place I have ever visited that I absolutely cannot imagine living in but the experience with the woman and little boy has changed that somewhat. Should we, as believers, seek to live in places where we are confronted on a daily basis with the pain and suffering of a lost and dieing world?

I'm off to tour the Ninth Ward, which will probably not improve my mood but will, no doubt, be eye opening.

1 comment:

Delta Kelly said...

We did our urban ministry internship in the 9th ward, the month before Katrina. It has a way of really getting into your soul, doesn't it? I pray the Lord will continue to show you and your family the ways He wants you to minister to the poor in our world. I love the next post about the pastor too - amazing!